meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Problems with inetd

By Sandra Henry-Stocker

I ran into a problem recently with one of my Solaris 9 servers. For some reason which I have yet to pinpoint, any lines that I add to the /etc/inet/inetd.conf file are removed from the file almost as soon as I finish adding them. Well, almost any lines. Since I generally precede any additions to system configuration files with comments that describe what the lines are for, I did so with these recently added lines as well. When the file was modified, I noticed that only my comments remained in the file of the lines that I had inserted.

The culprit wasn't a cron job. For one thing, there were no obvious cron jobs which could account for what was happening. For another, the timing was odd. The file wasn't changed back on a time boundary (e.g., on the minute). Further, since comments were not removed, it was clear that the file was not simply being overwritten by a copy of the old file. Instead, only the functional entries were being stripped. Some recent change to this system was ensuring that nothing was added to inetd.conf.

Read the full article here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home