meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Windows Tip: Smart cards and duct tape

By Mitch Tulloch, MTIT Enterprises

Although troubleshooting system and network problems are usually work, not fun, I had a good laugh at myself recently over one situation that initially left me stumped.

To gain remote access to a secure corporate network, I had to install a smart card reader on a machine so I could authenticate using the smart card the company issued me. The smart card reader was a USB type, and when I plugged it into the system Windows XP recognized the reader and installed drivers for it. Unfortunately the smart card reader I obtained didn't include a stand accessory, so rather than having it sitting on the desk I decided to use duct tape to fix the reader to the side of the PC beneath the desk. After all, Canadians like myself can use duct tape for almost anything, eh?

Read the full article here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home